socrateaser, Lawyer
Experience:  Retired (mostly)

I sold some consignment merchandise to a guy from another state.

I sold some consignment merchandise to a guy from another state. he has now refused to pay for it stating I was fullfilling a contract he had with a local reseller that went out of business. I was formerly an importer of the product that he purchased. however my business as the importer was in bankrupcty. and I sold him consignment inventory owned by the new company i was working for.

this guy is an attorney in another state and i think he set this whole scam up! is this not some kind of fraud!?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  socrateaser replied 6 years ago.

If the buyer entered into a contract you with the specific intent to not pay, that is the crime of false pretenses.

Call the police and complain to the state disciplnary agency for attorneys in the buyer's jurisdiction. He will have his license revoked.

Hope this helps.

NOTICE: Due to overwhelming customer demand for my time, I am forced to limit our correspondence to only one follow-up question per session. If you are on a subscription plan, this does not prevent you from asking new questions for the same subscription fee. It only means that you must open a new question to continue our conversation. You are welcome to open a new question and preface it with my userid: “To Socrateaser…{question text}.”

Terms and Conditions: By your continuing in this conversation with me, or by your clicking “Accept”, you are expressly agreeing to all of the following: (1) our communication is for entertainment purposes only; (2) you are not consulting me in my professional capacity as an attorney; (3) you do not seek to establish an attorney-client relationship with me, nor do I with you; (4) you will not rely on anything I say and you will obtain appropriate legal counsel via a traditional/office consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where your legal issue arises (and you may not use our communication to avoid taxpayer penalties imposed by the U.S. Dept. of Treasury); (5) by communicating with me in this public forum you are irrevocably waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client privilege concerning the matters discussed. You further separately declare that any payment made by you is not consideration for this contract, nor offered for any services rendered by me on your behalf, but rather is made in genuine admiration and respect for my desire to help others. If you do not agree with these terms and conditions, then you must advise me immediately.