lwpat, Criminal Lawyer
Experience:  Practicing criminal defense attorney

In SC what is the sentence for presenting or pointing a firearm

In SC what is the sentence for "presenting or pointing a firearm" and can the warrant be reduced to a lesser charge?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  lwpat replied 6 years ago.
What is the statute number on the warrant or citation? It would be 16-something.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The warrant says 16-23-410.Also,do I need a criminal lawyer or can I get results from court appointed lawyer?
Expert:  lwpat replied 6 years ago.

SECTION 16-23-410. Pointing firearm at any person.

It is unlawful for a person to present or point at another person a loaded or unloaded firearm.

A person who violates the provisions of this section is guilty of a felony and, upon conviction, must be fined in the discretion of the court or imprisoned not more than five years. This section must not be construed to abridge the right of self-defense or to apply to theatricals or like performances.

You have been charged with a felony and if you are indigent you can apply for a public defender. Since this is a serious charge I suggest that you retain a private attorney even though it will be expensive.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
How expensive?I don't have a criminal record.The charge can't be reduced to a lesser charge?
Expert:  lwpat replied 6 years ago.
You will need to call around. Different attorneys charge different rates. It can always be reduced, dismissed or found not guilty.