Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.

i was pulled over and found out theres a warrant for my arrest,

Customer Question

i was pulled over and found out there's a warrant for my arrest, the officer, told me that i have to go to court and pay but how do i know how much i have to pay?, it was for a expire inspection ticket that i get like 2 years ago, if i go to court am i going to be arrested on the spot?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 6 years ago.

If there's a warrant out for your arrest and you come back to court, it is possible that you will be arrested on the spot. And, in fact, if your warrant were for a failure to appear rather than for failure to pay a traffic law penalty, you almost certainly would be. However, what Texas wants is its money for this fine, and as they are going to make you pay much more in penalties and court costs than what you would have been able to do two years ago, you could probably pay your way out of the jam by just having enough cash with you to take care of the ticket.

However, you should call the court. In some jurisdictions, the penalty is standard and the judge won't have to see you. The clerk can tell you what you owe, you can pay up and live happily ever after. In others, however, and I don't know which are which as it's a matter determined in part by local court administration neccesities, you have to see the judge to find out what you're owe. If that's what you'll have to do, then you really should have a lawyer with you when you turn up in court to take care of this, just in case he puts you in. If nothing else, the lawyer can mount an argument to keep bail reasonable.

Alternatively, a lawyer should be able to find out what you're going to owe before you come back, and set your mind to rest about the penalties.

If I've helped, please click the green Accept button so I can get credit for my work.

This thread will not close and you can always use it to get clarification.This is informational only and is NOT legal advice. There is no attorney-client relationship. You are advised to consult an attorney in your State for specific legal advice.