Barrister, Criminal Defense Law
Experience:  15 years practicing criminal defense.

My 40 yr old son was choked and slugged in the eye by his x-wives

My 40 yr old son was choked and slugged in the eye by his x-wives boyfriend, we have filed a complaint with the police, this happened last night at his sons soccer practice. he and his x-wife followed him as he was coaching his sons team. They both showed up today at the soccer field again and just sat and glared at him. The police were called again and said they could do nothing. What are our options now?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 6 years ago.

At this point, his recourse would be to file for a Temporary Restraining Order TRO. He would need to get a copy of the police report and then contact the district attorney to file the petition. The TRO would be granted due to the assault and is normally in effect for a few weeks before a Permanent Restraining Order hearing can be held to issue one permanently.

Once one is issued, the boyfriend would be prohibited from having any contact with your son and if he showed up at a location where your son is, your son can call the police who will then charge boyfriend with criminal violation of a retstraining order.

I hope you have a better understanding of your legal issue. If the information given answered your question, please click the GREEN "ACCEPT" button NOW, so that I receive credit for my work. Bonuses are optional and greatly appreciated. If you need additional clarification on this question, just click "Reply" and I will be happy to help you. Please give me as much detail as you can so that I can respond after receiving all the relevant details.