AlexiaEsq.
AlexiaEsq., Managing Attorney
Experience:  19+ Years of Legal Practice in Criminal Law.
10805288

a week ago caught for shoplifting in michigan but I still didnt

Customer Question

a week ago caught for shoplifting in michigan but I still didn't get a call or a letter.. am I charged?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  AlexiaEsq. replied 4 years ago.

Hi Jacustomer,

It doesn't sound like you have yet to be charged, if you were not arrested by the police at the time (you would know). However, the charges could be weeks or months later.

Sincerely,

S. Joy, Legal Expert

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I wasn't arrested this was my first time and i never had any crimminal record at all.. this is my first time living in Michigan... I have no one here and I came here for college years... I have no where to stay.. My flight was reserved like two month ago.. I'm leaving Michigan on May 6th.. When the meridian police came I told him all my situation that I'm leaving on MAy 6th and coming back on August 30th.. and he took my over sea phone number also.... I still didn't get anything I don't know what to do... I called an attorney but they said they can't help me until I get charged... Is it possible that I won't get charged?

Yes, it is possible you won't get charged. Perhaps the store you stole from decided they didn't care to prosecute, and the prosecutor's office then determined that they really didn't have much of a case if the store didn't want to cooperate. I find that strange, however, but possible.

Sincerely,

S. Joy, Legal Expert

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
so I can fly back home??? What should I do before I leave? I can't change my flight coming back.. what if I get a charge? or do you think this situation there won't be a charge? I send check for the civil demand $200 (the unpaid product total cost was $64) I already sent that a day after this happened......so if I don't get any calls or letter from them I shouldn't worry about it and fly back home right? I never been to meijers after that and I'm not planning to go to meijers also... I never intentionally take the unpaid product.. I thought it's okay to go to the atm to get money and self check.. but they said if i pass the check line, it means that I took the products... so they send the documents and stuff... but the meijers can actually not charge me? why would they even call a police if they won't charge me? They won't call me if I'm not charge???? I'm so confused..

Dear jacustomer, these questions far exceed your original post and some of them would need to be addressed with your immigration attorney. Suffice it to say, they can charge you even after you go and if you miss the court date, they will likely issue a warrant for you arrest. It may impede your ability to get back into the country or leave te country - again, that is an immigration issue.

YOu indicate you spoke to the police - did they say you were going to be charged? That is the only way you will know for sure, prior to it occurring.

I would not send a civil demand check if there has been no civil demand.

Yes, it is confusing - usually if the police are called they wish to press charges. But again, you won't know til you get there. I would have my attorney (criminal defense is what you should hire), contact the store and/or the police and run some interference for you, explaining the situation - at least then you can know and perhaps resolve it, given the fact that you now indicate your are actually innocent of theft and could actually get it dismissed if you have the appropriate attorney working on it for you.

You also never mentioned in your post that they "send the documents and stuff"". What documents.

Please click accept and we can discuss clarifications after. Thanks.

Sincerely,

S. Joy, Legal Expert

AlexiaEsq., Managing Attorney
Experience: 19+ Years of Legal Practice in Criminal Law.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

The meridian police said he wasn't sure if I will be charged or not that's why he told me to wait until a call or a letter... They gave me civil demand so I already paid... And documents meaning my photos, my name, dob, my height/weight, social security number.. I don't have any drivers license or state id so they got these information of me.. I contacted the attorney here and they said they can't help me because I'm not charged.... And I didn't had my passport with me so they don't have that part of information....

Hey again, I am on the road but will fully respond later today. Thanks for your patience.