DCrane Law
DCrane Law, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney

I had a simple mistermeaner domestic violence conviction in

I had a simple mistermeaner domestic violence conviction in oct 2003 in Iowa and lost my 2nd amendment rights to own firearms. I Have no other domestics and have not been in any sort of trouble since then. There was no weapon used in the situation. I used to be a gun collector and enjoyed target shooting. I am an ex military guy who sure misses the weekends at the target range. Is there any way to regain these rights again? I moved my gun collection out of my house to my fathers place and sold a few of them, but would love to have them back. The girl involved was a girlfrend of 3 months and did not live with me. Hindsite being 20/20 I wish I would have fought it instead of taking the plea. Can you help?
Thank you for the post, unfortunately, per the Lautenberg Amendment, you are not able to own firearms after a domestic abuse conviction. Your only recourse would be a Governor's pardon to erase the conviction.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I've heard of the Lautenberg amendment and am wondering if there is anything I can do to have such instances taken off my record. Is there any period of time to elapse for consideration or is this punishment for the rest of my life? Have you heard of any changes coming for this amendment? Is there some sort of form or special request to try and obtain a pardon that your aware of? I have several questions and appreciate your time. Thanks for your help.
Unfortunately there is no lapse or expiration on the ban, the "punishment" is for the rest of your life. Your only available option is a Governor's pardon.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Please answer the 2nd half of the question before I close this out. How do you obtain a pardon? Is there a form to request? How do you go about doing this? thank you. Last question :)

Here's the application and filing instructions: