JB Umphrey
JB Umphrey, Lawyer
Experience:  Handling criminal and probation matters for over 14 years.

Is reading my husbands email on our home computer illegal

Is reading my husband's email on our home computer illegal? I was able to figure out his password, and found out he was having an emotional affair with a woman from another state. He is now divorcing me, has left our home, and is corresponding with her daily now.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  JB Umphrey replied 6 years ago.

Thank you for using JustAnswer!

I am sorry to learn of your circumstances. Yes, it is against the law to access another person's e-mail without their consent.

Good luck and best wishes for better days ahead. I hope that you find this information to be helpful and this answer to be ACCEPTable!

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
What if the account was logged in?

That does not matter. The important issue is whether or not you had consent to access/read the account.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Then how do I prove this correspondance?
Directly ask him or her to confirm it.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I asked him if this relationship was "above board", he said "no". Would that be satisfactory?
Most certainly.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I put this in a diary that I have been writing in since this occurred. In Virginia, adultery is only when two people have slept together. Would this information make him at least "squirm" when it comes to settlement. I also have text messages between him and this woman from his cell phone; our family cell phone account is under my name.  He continued to make calls and frequent text messages to this woman after he left our home while his number was still under my name.  When I checked my minutes for the account, there were phone calls and multiple text messages for his number.
I have no way of knowing if it would make him squirm or not. It's frustrating, but you cannot assume rationale actions/reactions from people who are irrational.