JD, Criminal Justice Lawyer
Experience:  Over 11 years of practice in litigation including 10 years as a state prosecutor

One last question...if I am granted grace since I have no record,

One last question...if I am granted grace since I have no record, what in the world can I do for one year until it is cleared? Nobody, even Starbucks, is going to hire someone with a shoplifting charge.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  JD replied 6 years ago.

That can be a challenge.

A good background check will show arrests, however most employment background checks will not likely show it. Also, most applications only ask if you have ever been convicted of a crime. I realize we are talking semantics... but we just have to go with what we can do. You would not be convicted of a crime but you have been charged and there is nothing you can do about it.

Hopefully this will turn out better than you fear. If the judge is willing to reduce your probationary period then it may be possible for you to have this expunged before leaving for Oregon. If not, then you will just have to do the best you can.

I'm sorry I cannot give you a better solution but this is one of the unfortunate consequences. You will hit bumps... but they are not insurmountable.

Please reply if I can help further.

Remember to click ACCEPT only when you are satisfied with your answers. This is how we get paid for our time with your questions. I would also appreciate any positive feedback you could provide. If you are not satisfied then please reply to me so I can further assist you or find someone else to help. I am not your attorney. Therefore no attorney-client relationship exists and any communications on this website are not subject to the attorney-client privilege. For this reason, please do not divulge any personal information and use this site only for hypothetical questions. This forum is for general questions and answers and I cannot provide you with applicable law or legal opinions or advice in your jurisdiction. Please seek the advice of a competent attorney in your jurisdiction. While I can answer general questions and discuss general legal principles, I cannot give you legal advice in your state. The internet is a great place to get general information but should not be seen as a substitute for the attorney-client relationship or the services of a good lawyer in your state.