JD, Criminal Justice Lawyer
Experience:  Over 11 years of practice in litigation including 10 years as a state prosecutor

You just helped me with my shoplifting question. I am 35,

You just helped me with my shoplifting question. I am 35, college educated. I currently have plans to move to Oregon, my homestate on June 18th. Would my possible probation prevent this? What does it mean to be on probation anyway? I know nothing about this stuff.

Technically it could prevent you from moving. It is strange, but misdemeanor probation supervision usually cannot be transferred from state to state (felony probation can). The court will have a few options for your situation... 1) refuse to permit your move, 2) shorten the length of probation, 3) waive probation, or 4) waive probation supervision and permit you to be on unsupervised probation. I doubt they will attempt to keep you in Georgia.

Probation is a period of time that can be supervised or unsupervised within which you are to abide by certain conditions. If your probation is supervised then you will have a probation officer who monitors your progress on probation. If it is unsupervised then it will not be formally monitored and you would not likely have any conditions other than payment of fines and refraining from criminal activity. Other conditions that may be imposed on supervised probation can include:

- Public service work

- Restitution (pay victim back)

- Fines

- Court costs

- Drug/alcohol rehab

- Maintain employment or full time student status

- Drug testing

- Counseling

- Any other conditions that the probation officer reasonably feels necessary

Probation is a highly customizable thing that is designed to rehabilitate an offender without the necessity and expense of incarceration. As I said, you should do quite well on probation and I wouldn't let it concern me at this point. You'll probably be given unsupervised probation.

Please reply if I can help further.

Remember to click ACCEPT only when you are satisfied with your answers. This is how we get paid for our time with your questions. I would also appreciate any positive feedback you could provide. If you are not satisfied then please reply to me so I can further assist you or find someone else to help. I am not your attorney. Therefore no attorney-client relationship exists and any communications on this website are not subject to the attorney-client privilege. For this reason, please do not divulge any personal information and use this site only for hypothetical questions. This forum is for general questions and answers and I cannot provide you with applicable law or legal opinions or advice in your jurisdiction. Please seek the advice of a competent attorney in your jurisdiction. While I can answer general questions and discuss general legal principles, I cannot give you legal advice in your state. The internet is a great place to get general information but should not be seen as a substitute for the attorney-client relationship or the services of a good lawyer in your state.