Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience

Ive been asked to write a letter of recommendation to the

I've been asked to write a letter of recommendation to the Sentencing Judge of a man I don't know nor have ever met. I do know his mother well as she attends the church I pastor. I'm really at a loss here. I want to help her out, but I am not sure how to write such a letter, let alone for someone I don't know. He was arrested and convicted for trafficking drugs across the Mexican / United States border. Any sample letters someone could assist me with in this unique situation?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 6 years ago.
We are not allowed to write such letters for you, as we do not know sufficient facts of the case or anything about the person to formulate such a letter. The problem you will have here is that these letters need to discuss the person's character and how their release would not be a danger to society and how their status and work in the community would be good grounds to let them out so they can continue to work in the community. Since you know nothing about the person, talking about how good his mother is would really not have much impact.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow up questions please use the REPLY button and ask. If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”