Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience

A friend was charged with simple assault . This person was

A friend was charged with simple assault . This person was just place on pre trial intervention for two years the same day the committed the simple assault . If procecuted in court formally not informally for the assault will this effect the PTI . this person was place on PTI for fordgery of a contolled substance ?
The PTI can indeed be impacted with the bringing of the new charges if he is convicted on the new charges, then they can revoke the PTI on the other charges and bring him to trial on the old charges. He needs to get an attorney to represent him on these new charges to see if the attorney can work to get them dismissed.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow up questions please use the REPLY button and ask. If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I f the police officers wrote in the report the person was under a controlled substance and there is a statement from a witness that this person obtained it ileagly and they were sent to hte hospital the same night for threating to committ suicide would thsi be a violation of the PTI . This person is also being investigated for the theft that happen the same night during the assault ?
Yes, all of these things can hurt him for the PTI and they are all grounds to revoke the PTI and bring him to trial for those charges in addition to the new charges.