LawTalk, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years legal experience

I am on felony probation of 4 years in Illinois, due to end

Customer Question

I am on felony probation of 4 years in Illinois, due to end April 28th of this year. I am to pay a restitution of $24,000, $9,000 of which has been paid. I received a summons to attend court on April 16th due to the remaining balance. I am wondering what I could expect? I am a single mother, and have been paying as much as I can. I was laid off of work for 13 months, and in that time, only paid twice. My probation officer told me in Dec not to worry about that, that I may get a letter stating that I would need to attend money management classes. That is all that he said about it. In Feb of this year, I started a new job, making very little, but it is steady income. I have paid $600 towards restitution since then. I am wondering what I could expect at court on the 16th? Would extending my probation be a possibility? Or will they just drag me off to jail at the time of court? Thank you so much for any help!
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 6 years ago.
Good afternoon,

I'm sorry to hear of your dilemma.

The extension of probation is a possibility given that you have failed to make full restitution, which I suspect was a condition of your sentencing and probation. It is unlikely that you will be violated back to jail based on your inability to immediately pay restitution. You may however be put on a very strict payment plan.

Money management classes are also a possibility.

I wish you well.

Please don’t forget that I only receive credit for having helped you when you click on the Accept Button located at my Answer.

Best regards,