LawTalk, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years legal experience

License Suspension out of nowhere

Hello, I got a DUI in fall 2007, and I had completed my ARD program and paid all the fines in 2008. But just last week, I received a letter from Penndot( PA) saying that my license is going to be suspended for 3 months because the driving while registration suspension. But the thing is I don't even have a car for half a year. I don't even know why they send the mail to me. I called Penndot, they told me the only thing I can do is to appeal the court. Is that the only way to do it? Can someone please help me. I'm so frustrated.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 4 years ago.
Good afternoon,

Many times states take a long time in getting around to suspending your license. While you may have been without a vehicle for half a year, you still had a valid license.

While you could petition the court for help and appeal the suspension, you are unlikely to get it for the reason I stated above. You likely do qualify for a temporary permit to drive to and from work though.

I wish you well.

Best regards,

Doug

LawTalk, Lawyer
Experience: 30 years legal experience
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Sorry, I think the way I said it make you misunderstand. I don't own a car for at least half a year, and they sent me notice that my license will be suspended because of my registration. Also it stated that on 03/18/2010 i have a conviction, but at that time, I wasn't even in PA, I was in California traveling. So do I contact the court first, or the only way to do is to appeal?
Expert:  LawTalk replied 4 years ago.
Good afternoon,

If you don't own a car subject to registration then it is improper to suspend your license because of no registration---unless the no registration citation was at the time of the DUI and they are just now getting around to the suspension.

The conviction date is the date the court clerk entered the conviction. It doesn't necessarily mean that you were in the state at the time.

You will need to appeal from the decision to suspend your license and go from there.

Best regards,

Doug

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I know when i got caught for DUI, my registration was valid. It stated that " your 03/18/2010 conviction of violating section 1371 of the vehicle code DRIVE WHILE REG. SUSP/REVO on 02/02/2010". Does this mean it happened in 02/02/2010? Because on that day, I wasn't in PA either. Right now, I'm traveling around the States, and I won't be back to PA for a while. Is it possible if I just contact the court to take it off? or I must appeal?
Expert:  LawTalk replied 4 years ago.
If you were not there on the dates alleged you will have to appeal. You can not simply write or call the court.

Best regards,

Doug