LawTalk, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years legal experience

I have been arreseted for wearing a new pair of shoes out of

I have been arreseted for wearing a new pair of shoes out of store.Got a summons no bail but,was appointed a public defender.First time ever.Very sick take lots of medicines and one is a new depression pill that cost 526.00 for 30 pills I pay 86.00 plus,other meds.My first and only arrest clean record 45 years old 33 years married.What can I do ?Pleaed not guility by atty.court date April 30.I feel so bad and don't want to do jail time.What can I get or do classes ,community service.I know very little about the law system.NO job seeking employment if still possible.I feel like God has left me and I'm worthless.No job or money.Please,help if anybody can.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 6 years ago.
Good afternoon,

Speak with your public defender. The minor shoplifting charge should not bring jail time with it. Only a fine, possible some community service and probation for a year or two.

Ask your attorney to make a deal and it should go pretty smoothly. Rarely does anybody do time for a first offense shoplifting charge.

I wish you well.

Best regards,

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Should I ask to take a class.?I don,t want any body to know especially family.Also,do you think my medications could make me feel out of my body.Atty. wants all my Med.records.Take 3 depression meds.2 different muscle relaxers,imitrex,phenergan,for migraines,lots of sinus and allery medicines.Lived here 2mos.and been sick every since moved in to this home.Was told by neighbor it has a high quality of radon gas.Very over stressed taking care of a 28 yr.old disabled son,too.I'm tired stressed and worthless.
Expert:  LawTalk replied 6 years ago.
Your meds won't excuse your actions. Don't even try to go in that direction.

Ask your attorney what they DA will offer. As I said. It is usually probation and a fine. It is not a big deal in the overall scheme of life.

Best regards,