Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Experience:  Handle criminal matters in both state and federal courts.

About six weeks ago our house was seasrched by the police who

About six weeks ago our house was seasrched by the police who had a warrant for my roommate. He was arrested and charged with possession and sales of meth. They also found drugs in my boyfriends room where I sleep. I was taken into custody at the Norwalk, CA sherrifs station and then released after a few hours. They gave me a certificate of letter of release stating it was a detention only. The letter had bogus dates on it which I don't unerstand. It has the date of the search as 12-31-09 and my release date as 12-29-09.
I received a letter from the Los Angeles County Sherrif's Department Headquarters saying a complaint has been filed against me as a result into a case in which I was involved on FEb 8, 2010, alleging violation of the California Health and Safety Code Section(s): 11377 (a)., and that I have to appear in Superior Courtr Whittier Branch on April 5, 2010.
I have never been in any kind of trouble before. I can't afford an attorney. What does all this mean?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Samuel II replied 4 years ago.

hi

it means you are being charged with a misdemeanor crime. the Code reads as follows

(a) Except as authorized by law and as otherwise provided in
subdivision (b) or Section 11375, or in Article 7 (commencing with
Section 4211) of Chapter 9 of Division 2 of the Business and
Professions Code, every person who possesses any controlled substance
which is (1) classified in Schedule III, IV, or V, and which is not
a narcotic drug, (2) specified in subdivision (d) of Section 11054,
except paragraphs (13), (14), (15), and (20) of subdivision (d), (3)
specified in paragraph (11) of subdivision (c) of Section 11056, (4)
specified in paragraph (2) or (3) of subdivision (f) of Section
11054, or (5) specified in subdivision (d), (e), or (f) of Section
11055, unless upon the prescription of a physician, dentist,
podiatrist, or veterinarian, licensed to practice in this state,
shall be punished by imprisonment in a county jail for a period of
not more than one year or in the state prison.

you should consider consulting with a local attorney to assist you in court, or see if you qualify for the assistance by a public defender, since there is a possible jail time involved. i cannot explain the letters you were given, but a local attorney will be able to have that matter evaluated for validity

Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Experience: Handle criminal matters in both state and federal courts.