lwpat, Criminal Lawyer
Experience:  Practicing criminal defense attorney

The manager of my condominium building has removed personal correspondence

The manager of my condominium building has removed personal correspondence from the unlocked "in-house" mailboxes, used for various communications between residents, management, the security staff, and the board of directors.

It seems to me that we should have a reasonable expectation of privacy regarding the contents of our boxes. Other people have access to them and are allowed to put items in them (greeting cards, invitations, commercial notices), but taking them out seems to be a different issue entirely. Recently the manager removed correspondence from all 180+ in-house mailboxes because he felt the information in them was confusing to other residents.

Is there any relevant statute or case law regarding management theft from such boxes? This is in California.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  lwpat replied 6 years ago.
There is no case law unless it is a stamped envelope placed in the US Mail. It would be an issue for the Board of Directors and you can ask to have it placed on the agenda for the next meeting. Otherwise you can mail the information to everyone.