Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience

i was ticketed for possesion of drug paraphrenalia and have

Customer Question

i was ticketed for possesion of drug paraphrenalia and have not gone to an arraignment yet, however i feel that my car was searched without consent (he ask me to step out if the car so that he would not be in danger of getting hit by a car) how do i go about keeping this off of my record and taking care of the citation. this happened in denton county texas by the way. Thank you
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 6 years ago.
The officer has a right to ask a driver of a car and passengers to step out of the vehicle, but would have to articulate some probable cause for the search (such as a reasonable articulable belief that there were weapons present). You should have obtained an attorney by this time if you plan on arguing the search of the vehicle to seek a dismissal. If you are able to get the case dismissed based upon the search or the probable cause for the stop, then you could file to get the entire matter expunged from your record.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow up questions please use the REPLY button and ask. If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”