Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Experience:  Handle criminal matters in both state and federal courts.
10707909

Hello, my 23 yr old daughter got caught stealling a 14.99 shirt

Hello, my 23 yr old daughter got caught stealling a 14.99 shirt at a large chain store (camera in dressing room). Security escorted her to their office and called police. She was issued a ticket, and told she was going to have to go to court, pay a fine and take a class. She has been getting letters from lawyers stating it is public record. What does that mean? Also will she need a lawyer when she goes to court, or can she get a public defender, or not need one at all? We are both frantic, she has never done this before, certainly knows it was a dumb thing to do, and is concerned it will go on her record. She has never been in trouble before. Can you advise me what the best thing is to do? Thank you. [email protected]

hi

anytime someone is arrested, if is public record. as is a hearing or other court proceeding and so is the final disposition. it is possible that she could get a probation but consulting with a public defender would be most prudent to see it the matter could be deferred - this means that she would be eligible to have the record expunged, if she completes the probabtion successfully.