Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience

i purchased two firearms and the person caught with them has

i purchased two firearms and the person caught with them has a felony record. I did not know the person had a felony record when i gave the guns to him. what should i do?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 6 years ago.
You could potentially face criminal charges for procuring firearms for a convicted felon and for providing firearms to a convicted felon, so you should not be making any statements to anyone regarding this matter without being represented by an attorney. At this point you should prepare for the police or ATF contacting you to investigate the ownership of the guns and how the person obtained them and you would do this by arranging with an attorney to represent you.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow up questions please use the REPLY button and ask. If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”