Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience

I received a criminal summons and complaint from Denver County

I received a criminal summons and complaint from Denver County court for driving a motor vehicle without having a license, driving a motor vehicle without proof of insurance, and tail light equipment violation. This is my second offense of driving without a valid license. My license was suspended due to non-payment of a speeding ticket, which has been paid, I just haven't been able to afford to reinstate my license. I can not afford an attorney at this time, what are my options? Will I receive jail time?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 6 years ago.

Under CO law, is a misdemeanor to drive a vehicle while fully aware that your license is under restraint or that you have no license at all. The penalty is a jail sentence from five to 180 days and a fine of $50 to $500. Probation or a suspended sentence is not allowed. As this is your second offense, if it was within a five year period, your license or privilege to drive can be suspended for three years.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow up questions please use the REPLY button and ask. If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”