Dave Kennett
Dave Kennett, Lawyer
Experience:  25 years experience practicing attorney

I have been charged with a class a misdemeanor shoplifting

I have been charged with a class a misdemeanor shoplifting less than 24.00 I have NO money so must defend myself. What can I do to better my chances I am very ill and time in jail could kill me I have thought of taking an offenders course will this help and how should i approach the judge

DearCustomer- If you cannot afford an attorney you should ask the court to appoint one since you have a Constitutional right to counsel. You should not represent yourself. You need to plead not guilty to get the case into the system and set for a pre trial It is very possible that you may be able to get the charge reduced but you cannot just plead guilty as then the charge will be what it is.

If this is a first offense it is likely you will receive probation or community service but that is not a guarantee and that is why you need legal counsel. You should not discuss the case with anyone but an attorney. I'm not certain whether an "offender's course" will be successful but an attorney can also assist in that area.

Dave Kennett