P. Simmons, Lawyer
Experience:  16 yrs. of experience including criminal law.

My motives aside, If I copy a persons arest booking sheet and

My motives aside, If I copy a persons arest booking sheet and court proceedings which are available to the public at the local sheriffs web and the clerk of court, Lake County Florida,roll them up newspaper style without adding any comments or opinions, just as they are and neatly deliver them to his nieghbors driveways am I breaking any laws? All this info is public domain available to anyone.
Thanks for the chance to assist on this matter. I am an attorney with over 12 years experience in criminal law.

Good question...are you breaking any laws? least no FL criminal laws or federal criminal this would not open you up to criminal prosecution (again, based on your description).

That said, its MAY be that if the target (person whose records copied) was able to prove it was you that did this...they may be able to sue you. Can they sue and win? The suit would be for defamation.

Under Florida law, the elements of a defamation claim are:

1. the defendant published a false statement;
2. about the plaintiff;
3. to a third party; and
4. the falsity of the statement caused injury to the plaintiff.

SO, as you can see, its not likely they would win since the information was not false.

Still, if they sue, you need to hire an attorney to defend...that would be my chief conern.

Please let me know if you have further questions; if so I will do my best to answer them. If not please hit the accept button, its the only way I get credit for my work.

Terms and Conditions: By your continuing in this conversation with me, or by your clicking “Accept”, you are expressly agreeing to all of the following: (1) our communication is for entertainment purposes only; (2) you do not seek to establish an attorney-client relationship with me, nor do I with you; (3) you will not rely on anything I say and you will obtain appropriate legal counsel via a traditional office consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where your legal issue arises; (4) by communicating with me in this public forum you are irrevocably waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client privilege concerning the matters discussed. You further separately declare that any payment made by you is not consideration for this contract, nor offered for any services rendered by me on your behalf. If you do not agree with these terms and conditions, then you must advise me immediately.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

do I have to answer any questions if stopped by the police assuming I am not commiting a trafic violation? this is my last question, thank you and semper fi

Another very good are required to give police identifying information (you have to tell them who you are). BUT YOU DO NOT HAVE TO GIVE ANY OTHER INFORMATION TO THE POLICE.

Keep that in is good to know...since the police may tell you different in an attempt to get you to talk to them.

Semper Fi