How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 101755
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

my son who will be 21 in Aug 2010, is a college student in

Resolved Question:

my son who will be 21 in Aug 2010, is a college student in Marshall MN, was at a party, when the police came he left through the back- he was spotted 2 blocks away- arrested for fleeing on foot, minor consumption with a .123 level. they put him in jail. he had court the next morning- got a $280 fine, year probation, and a misdemeanor
he was not fleeing but was in the wrong never the less.
can the probation be dropped at 21?
there were three other under age 21 males who were stopped in the backyard of the home, they got minor consumption, no fleeing on foot, no jail.
just not sure how to proceed
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Ely replied 7 years ago.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am one of JustAnswer's attorneys. I'll be helping you resolve your matter today.

Please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.

Does he have any priors?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
no priors
he plays college baseball- good kid has never had any trouble -
Expert:  Ely replied 7 years ago.
He is a good candidate for something called deferred adjudication. Deferred adjudication (also known in some counties as "diversion") is a type of probation that does not go on his record as a conviction. The probationary period usually consists of community hours, a few self-improvement classes geared towards the offense, drug tests, etc. Time period varies depending on charge and deal worked out with the defense. Now, def.adj. does go on his record, but not as a conviction, and once he completes it, it can be wiped from his record either with a Motion for Expungement or Motion for Sealing of Record (depending on your state). Have your attorney ask for this, or ask himself if for some reason he is not afforded an attorney and choose not to retain counsel. This is a good program, and the worst thing the DA can say is “no,” but even then, they begin talking about bringing the charges down, etc. You’ll be surprised how willing the DA will be to work with him – they often have a full docket and they’ll be happy to “move” your case to make room for more serious matters.

Best of luck in your matter. I'm here if you need any more clarification or follow up information.

I hope you found my answer helpful, and if so please click on the ACCEPT button. This is the only way for me to get credit for my work - when you put in your payment information, I receive no credit for my time with you unless you press ACCEPT.

There is no fee for follow up questions should you wish to continue in this thread.

Remember, sometimes the law under which your situation falls does not give you the outcome or the choices you wanted - please understand that this is not the attorney's fault, but the way of circumstance.

There might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.

If you feel that I went an extra step to help, a bonus would be appreciated!

You can always request me for a future legal consultation through my profile at If you do this, make sure to begin the question with “This Question is for Eli…”

Ely and 4 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you