xavierjd, Lawyer
Experience:  Over 20 yrs experience in prosecution and defense work

i have a criminal case on hold untill i get home from iraq.

Customer Question

i have a criminal case on hold untill i get home from iraq. there accusing me of stealing a debit card and using it. The card is of someones i work with. we both have the same bank so our cards look the same. the card that was said i used was in my car in the same place i leave "my" card all the time. They have me on camara using it. i told the inversigater i didnt steal it and if it was me that used it i didnt do it on purpose. i was never read my rights and never notified that anything was coming out of it untill my comander said there was charges pending untill we get back from the deployment. any and all advice would be helpfull.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  xavierjd replied 6 years ago.

Thank you for using!

I am sorry to learn of your circumstances. At this stage, there is nothing that you or anyone else can do until you complete your service and return home. Once that happens, you can make arrangements to appear in court, enter a plea of not guilty, and ask for a court-appointed attorney if you are not able to afford hiring one yourself.

That attorney will obtain a copy of the police reports, any witness statements, etc., review them with you, and then you'll be able to explore and consider what your options are.

Good luck and best wishes. And thank you for your service. I hope that you find this information to be helpful!