Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience

My husband just got a positive parole vote been in prison 6

Customer Question

My husband just got a positive parole vote been in prison 6 months on a three year sentence. Was charged with cell phone possession, found under his pillow, but all cells are open, and we have proof we use Correctional Billing Services for our calls. At hearing, he was found guilty, lost 180 days of good time, and recategorized from a G-2 to a G-5 line class-this is in Texas.... Obviously not his, obviously not good, what can we do? Thank you very much for your time.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 6 years ago.
He had a chance to appeal through the prison's appeal process. It would seem to me that the prison officials investigating this matter would have checked the call history on the cell to determine who the phone belonged to. However, one thing against your husband the mere possession in an inmate's cell is a violation and it does not say that the phone has to be his, but if the cells were open all day, then this is an argument for appeal to the warden who has ultimate discretion on the matter. If the warden denies him, then that is the end of the road and I am afraid there is nothing else you can do.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow up questions please use the REPLY button and ask. If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”