Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.

I have just gotten a petty theft charge and have to got to

Customer Question

I have just gotten a petty theft charge and have to got to court on the 25th of this month I have 2 pprior charges almost 5 plus years ago. I am the sole pervider for my 3 kids and I don't want to do jail time. I know what I did was wrong and there's no excuse for what I did but I am not working and I am only getting unemployment trying my hardest to find a paying job. Never been on welfair and have always worked. What can I do to stay out of jail is there a program or comunity service and is there a way I can stay out of jail and hopefully off my record. I was justtrying to get some food
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 6 years ago.

Before I can answer your question, I need a bit more background. Can you tell me:

What were your prior offenses for?
What was the value of the property you tooK?
Have you had probation before?