TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JD, MBA
9373668

My ex-husbands attorney here in Texas informed me that she

My ex-husband's attorney here in Texas informed me that she is charging me with fraud at the police because I bought a washer/dryer and a chair when my husband and I were still very married and had just nine days before decided to take a "break" after 20 + years of marriage. It was my bum luck the w/d went out, but I had helped him move every chair we owned and needed a chair to it in as well. I had access to our credit cards. I had no idea we would end up divorced, he filed for it. I did not use his name in getting them, although they were in his name, I was an authorized signer. I thought we would be back on track. I am now penniless, a senior citizen and had forgotten to put two accounts in our divorce decree. He is furious. I am trying to do the right thing and had my (from a previous marriage) daughter pay off the chair, but I can't get credit and don't have a job or a car! My daughter has paid for these things for me on time and perfectly, what can they do to me?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 4 years ago.

Hello and thank you for allowing me the opportunity to assist you.

Based on the facts you shared, I seriously doubt you would be charged with a crime. The only issue here that I see is that you used your ex’s credit cards that were in his name alone. But you stated that you were an authorized user. Because of that, I think the worst that would happen is that the divorce judge orders you to repay your ex. I’m not sure where the fraud accusations are coming from … possibly just a scare tactic.

Have I satisfactorily addressed your concerns? If not, then please feel free to ask for clarification.

If the information that I provided is helpful, then please remember to click the green accept button so that I will receive credit and compensation for my time. Positive feedback is always appreciated as well. Thank you and good luck!

DISCLAIMER: Please be aware that only an attorney licensed in your state is authorized to advise you in legal matters, and that the limitations of this setting may prevent your legal issues from being thoroughly addressed. Accordingly, please understand that (1) by answering your question(s) I am not acting as your attorney, (2) my answer(s) should be construed as general information only, and (3) our discussion is not an adequate substitute for an in-person consultation with an attorney.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

For clarification...we were married when these purchases were made, the cards being in his name and me as an authorized user. I had, after the divorce and all the pain and sadness no intention of him ever paying for these items that he never even used. My daughter, who I live with and my son-in-law have paid all of the bills for me. One of the reasons, besides fear, that it wa not n the decree was that I, myself, was not even paying them as my husband (now ex) only gave me a bit of money here and there. I did not know that, or I would never have done that to my daughter. But, he has not paid one red cent and his divorce attorney is threatening me with police and jail!! I am very, very scared, as I now know he is a HUGE liar and he believes himself! Also, he is 78, o he may just not remember, I do not know. I am afraid the police are going to come into my neighborhood, where my child and grandchild live, and arrest me based on his amped up attorney and his statements and that I forgot! Can they do that?

Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 4 years ago.
Based on the facts that you shared, I don't see any crime. Like I said, at most I think you may be ordered to pay the credit card bill for the amount that you charged (minus the amount already paid by your daughter, of course). It sounds like the attorney is just trying to scare you. It is not unlawful to use a credit card that you are authorized to use, even though it's not in your name. That's the botXXXXX XXXXXne.

TJ, Esq., Attorney
Experience: JD, MBA