Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
18321761

Im 32 year old woman with the following charges. 1. Traffic

Customer Question

I'm 32 year old woman with the following charges. 1. Traffic Offense Dui Alcohol Or Drug 1st Offense. 2. Traffic Offense Dui And Damage Property. 3. Traffic Offense Dui And Serious Bodily Injury To Another. 4. Nonmoving Traffic Viol Drive While Lic Susp 1st Off. I lost my job and am currently homeless. Count 3 is a felony and I have been told I do not qualify for a public defender. I am in the Lee county jail.

Thank you for your help.

Karlyn Da Prato
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Michael J, Esq. replied 4 years ago.
Hello -

Thank you for contacting JustAnswer. My name is Michael; I look forward to helping you with your criminal problem today.

What is your legal question?

Thanks,

Michael
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I asked for a public defender and got a letter back that said I do not qualify. I am homeless and lost my job. What do I have to do to qualify for a PD in Florida?

If you have been charged with a Felony that carries with it greater than 6 months in jail, and you don't have the funds to represent yourself, you should qualify for a pubic defender. Without reading the letter itself, there is no way for me to know why they denied you one.

Good luck,

If my answer was helpful, please click ACCEPT so I may be compensated for my time. If you are not satisfied with the Answer, please feel free not to Accept, and post a follow up question so I may be able to clarify my Answer. My goal is to provide an outstanding Answer, so give me a chance.

Regards,

Michael
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I know the qualifications. I wanted to know why. I'll write the PD's and ask. Thanks for trying to help. I think we are done here.

Karlyn

Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 4 years ago.

I see no reason why you wouldn't be eligible for a public defender. If you're homeless and you're unemployed you should ask the judge for an indigency hearing. With official documentation of your lack of assets, he can order the PD's office to take you on.

Good luck.

___________
If I've helped, please click the green Accept button so I can get credit for my work.

This thread will not close and you can always use it to get clarification.This is informational only and is NOT legal advice. There is no attorney-client relationship. You are advised to consult an attorney in your state for specific legal advice.
Experience: Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.