Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience

I have been seeing 2 different doctors for pain treatment.

I have been seeing 2 different doctors for pain treatment. They have both been prescribing pain medications (schedule 2 drugs), for my medical condition, but neither doctor knows that I am seeing 2 doctors. Recently my state has enacted a Prescription Drug Monitoring Program, it is currently not operational, but when it becomes so, all doctors and pharmacists will be able to see my prescribing history. I will be going to one doctor for my pain medications from now on, but the database should have records of all prescriptions I have received for the past 3 years.

Is the DEA or Local police going to be coming for me because of this? Once the database is operational statewide, will I no longer be able to receive medications, and am I at risk of imprisonment for this? What is advisable for me to be doing in this situation?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 6 years ago.
It is actually against the law to have been receiving the same medications from more than one doctor during the same time period and it falls under the doctor shopping laws and is a felony punishable by up to 5 years in prison. The fact is that when a doctor writes a prescription it is the duty of the patient to inform the doctor if they are already receiving that medication from another doctor. Thus, you are at risk of imprisonment or at least being charged for the offense. However, it is fairly unlikely that they will go back and begin charging people for events occurring prior to the implementation of the new reporting system.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow up questions please use the REPLY button and ask. If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
It is not the same medication, my insurance has been paying for them both, but they are both in the same schedule- does that make any difference?
If they are not the same medications (chemical names such as hydrocodone) then you would be okay and it makes a big difference.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
to clarify, they are different compounds, morphine sulfate and oxycodone.
This would not lead to them charging you, it is only when someone is receiving the same medication from different doctors.