dkennedy
dkennedy, Criminal Defense Lawyer
Experience:  J.D. degree, 15 years practice
5930486

how to write a writ of mandamus

Customer Question

how to write a writ of mandamus?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  dkennedy replied 4 years ago.

Are you asking how to ask for the court to issue a Writ of Mandamus?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yes i am asking how to ask the court to issue a writ of mandamus to the court of common pleas cuyahoga county ohio and what court in my district to ask for the writ of mandamus?
Expert:  dkennedy replied 4 years ago.

In each of the 88 counties in Ohio, there is a Court of Common Pleas. The next "level" is the Ohio Court of Appeals. That would be the Court which would be able to command, or "mandate" the Court of Common Pleas to do something, so that is where you would direct your request for a Writ. Here is the chart of organization for the courts, FYI:

Judicial System Chart

In order to do the request, put the case caption on top of the paper (names, court number, etc. just as is on all the other court papers). In the middle of the paper, tell exactly what you are requesting and a short list of the reasons why.

Then, sign and date it in front of a notary, swearing that everything in your request (application) is true to the best of your knowledge. At the bottom, write and sign a statement certifying that you sent a copy to all parties.n

Send the original to the Court of Appeals, with a copy to everyone concerned. And, keep a copy of course.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
the info is good i just need a few more ? answered like what appeals court would i send the writ of mandamus to if the case is in cleveland,ohio?and why not send to the US DISTRIC COURT OF OHIO EASTERN DIVISION?contact a.s.a.p
Expert:  dkennedy replied 4 years ago.

Eighth District Court of Appeals

District 1 | District 2 | District 3 | District 4 | District 5 | District 6 | District 7 | District 8 | District 9 | District 10 | District 11 | District 12

County:
Cuyahoga

Contact:
Cuyahoga County CourthouseXXXXX#202
Cleveland, OhioNNN-NN-NNNNbr />Ph.:(NNN) NNN-NNNNbr />Fax:(NNN) NNN-NNNNbr />e-mail: anr@8thappeals.com
Ute Lindenmaier Vilfroy, Court Administrator

Appellate Judges:
Ann Marie R. Dyke
Christine T. McMonagle
Colleen C. Cooney
Frank D. Celebrezze Jr.
James J. Sweeney
Kenneth A. Rocco
Larry A. Jones
Mary E. Kilbane
Mary J. Boyle
Melody J. Stewart
Patricia A. Blackmon
Sean C. Gallagher

Online resources:

You would not send anything to the US District Court of Ohio Eastern Division, because that is a Federal Court, not an Ohio State court.

dkennedy, Criminal Defense Lawyer
Experience: J.D. degree, 15 years practice
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
are you familiar with the provost marshalls?i asked because i need to know where to file a title 18 suit on some unconstitional peace officers of the ATF of the cleveland,ohio branch and the 6th.district police department of cleveland for an assualt that occured. your feed back is appreciated.
Expert:  dkennedy replied 4 years ago.

Thank you so much for using Just Answer.

If I have answered your question about the Writ of Mandamus, an Accept would be appreciated. If you have new questions, JA policy is to start a new thread by posting a new question.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
was off line your info was helpful,thanks.