Lawmoe, Criminal Defense Lawyer
Experience:  More than 19 years of experience as a Criminal Defense Lawyer

What is a reasonable rate for a good attorney to represent

What is a reasonable rate for a good attorney to represent a defendent on a felony and misdemeanor "obtain money by false pretenses/larceny" charges? I have one local lawyer who will take care of both through trial and sentencing for $6500, and I have one out of county but within state lawyer with high AVVO and client review ratings, who wants $14000 just up to the preliminary hearing, and wants an additional $15000 if the charges goes to trial. I trust both lawyers, but since this is my first time in the criminal justice system, I'm not sure if "you get what you pay for." Thank you.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Lawmoe replied 6 years ago.

Frankly, you may find different rates in every state and every area within a state. For a felony, flat fees are generally unusual through trial. In my experience, in most cases retainers start around $5000 which may be a flat fee up to pretrial or charged against at an hourly rate. $6500 through trial in my estimation is reasonable and, in fact low.

Paying a flat fee in such a manner is also a significant motivator for the attorney to resolve the case early for a greater return on investment. I would suggest that a $10,000 to $20,000 at an hourly rate would not be too unusual and you could likely expect more aggressive representation.

One way to check out lawyers is to look for cases they have handled. Ask them for cases citations or even references for successful cases.