How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask wallstreetesq Your Own Question
wallstreetesq, Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 17223
Experience:  10 years Experience, have tried several high profile felony cases and misdemeanors
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
wallstreetesq is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was recently issued a ticket and ordered to go to court for

Resolved Question:

I was recently issued a ticket and ordered to go to court for "willfully possessing less than a 1/2 ounce of marijuana, a controlled substance which is included in schedule VI of the North Carolina controlled substances act. G.S. 90-95(e)" ... my question is what kind of punishment can I expect and should I get a lawyer just to be safe?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  wallstreetesq replied 7 years ago.
The initial charge is a midemeanor and a maximum of 30 days in jail, with a fine of $200.00, in most cases the prosecutors office will give you a plea bargain, for a non criminal disposition where you will not have a record, if they do not offer you this the first appearance hire an attorney to get you a non criminal disposition. Typically, NC has decriminalized possession, decriminalization means no prison time or criminal record for first-time possession of a small amount for personal consumption. The conduct is treated like a minor traffic violation.
wallstreetesq and other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you