wallstreetesq, Lawyer
Experience:  10 years Experience, have tried several high profile felony cases and misdemeanors

I was recently issued a ticket and ordered to go to court for

I was recently issued a ticket and ordered to go to court for "willfully possessing less than a 1/2 ounce of marijuana, a controlled substance which is included in schedule VI of the North Carolina controlled substances act. G.S. 90-95(e)" ... my question is what kind of punishment can I expect and should I get a lawyer just to be safe?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  wallstreetesq replied 6 years ago.
The initial charge is a midemeanor and a maximum of 30 days in jail, with a fine of $200.00, in most cases the prosecutors office will give you a plea bargain, for a non criminal disposition where you will not have a record, if they do not offer you this the first appearance hire an attorney to get you a non criminal disposition. Typically, NC has decriminalized possession, decriminalization means no prison time or criminal record for first-time possession of a small amount for personal consumption. The conduct is treated like a minor traffic violation.