Ellen, Lawyer
Experience:  25 years of experience helping people like you.
9968427

I just found out that my wife (we were legally separated in

I just found out that my wife (we were legally separated in the spring of 1997) who is living in Tennessee is going to charge me with child abuse (sexual) for touching my children over 15 years ago when they were kids and infants. I am living in Southern California in El Centro. The alleged events took place in San Diego. Can I require the charges be brought in San Diego? What happens when she brings charges against me in Tennessee and I am living in California?

Thank you for your question.

It is not up to your wife where the charges are filed or if they are in fact filed.Your wife can file a report regarding her allegations. It will then be up to the prosecutor's office whether or not to file charges. Typically the charges must be brought where the alleged action occurred
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
When my wife gets a lawyer in Tennessee and presses her allegations, what happens to me since I am living in California and the alleged events occurred in San Diego, California many years ago? My son is 19 y/o and my daughter is 21 y/o.
Your wife will need to file suit civilly in California and the state of California may bring criminal action against you. Tennessee does not appear to be the proper jurisdiction for either civil or criminal action