AlexiaEsq.
AlexiaEsq., Managing Attorney
Experience:  19+ Years of Legal Practice in Criminal Law.

Please let me know if this is the right dept to ask about parking

Please let me know if this is the right dept to ask about parking ticket, otherwise please transfer me to the correct dept. I received two NYC parking tickets that was not my fault & the traffic officer was corrupted, unethical, & immoral to issue me those parking tickets because the first ticket was for failure to display municipal receipt (Complainant's comments is receipt face down on dash board). But I never put my parking receipt face down, in fact I put my parking receipt faced up. That traffic officer was writing a false ticket just to earn his ranking & that' is so corrupted. I misplaced my parking receipt, am I able to appeal, it's been over 20 days? The other parking ticket was issued by a corrupted traffic officer because of Fire Hydrant (e)(2) - 7 Feet from Hydrant. But I never parked 7 feet from Hydrant, in fact I parked 15 feet away from the hydrant & I have proof of evidence because I took a picture of it. And also the hydrant was broken as well - am I able to appeal?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  AlexiaEsq. replied 4 years ago.

Hi tax, yes, you are in the right department.

IN NYC, if you wish to contest a ticket (and I don't blame you!) you should request a hearing within 30 days of receiving the ticket. This avoids incurring any penalties. Hearings are also available after 30 days, but if an administrative law judge upholds the fine, the penalties may also be owed. After a ticket is in judgment (approximately 100 days without payment or hearing request), a vehicle owner must submit a Request for Hearing After Judgment form to request a hearing.

You will receive the judge's decision at the conclusion of an in-person hearing. If you request a hearing by mail or via the web, the decision will take approximately 75 days.

Here are some helpful online sources in the City so you can get started right from home:

Red Bullet Point GraphicRequest an Online Hearing (Hearing-by-Web)
Red Bullet Point GraphicRequest a Hearing-By-Mail
Red Bullet Point GraphicRequest an In-Person Hearing
Red Bullet Point GraphicRequest for Hearing After Judgment
Red Bullet Point GraphicAppealing a Hearing Decision
Red Bullet Point GraphicCommon Reasons for Disputing a Ticket
Red Bullet Point GraphicViolation Codes, Fines, Rules & Regulations
Red Bullet Point GraphicRed Light Camera Program

Good luck.

Hope this helps to clarify. If it does, please click ACCEPT and follow up if needed after you do so. Also, if you exceeded the one question one answer standard, and the expert provided you with answers to your additional questions, BONUS is an appreciated way of saying thank you! This expert's credit proceeds go towards providing volunteer provisions for the disabled. Thank you for helping!

I believe I have answered your question and I hope you a better understanding of your legal issue as a result. As you know, I am only the messenger, not your attorney, nor can I create favorable law if it doesn't exist, so please don't hold it against me if the legal result is not what you wish. ACCEPTING the Answer a so ensures I will be able to assist your with your future legal question. In addition, Positive "FEEDBACK" and BONUSES are also appreciated. If you would like my assistance in the future, just put my name, STEPHANIE JOY, in your title or first sentence of a new post. Please keep in mind that I can only respond to your post and the information contained in it, as I do not know what you know unless you describe it fully. Also, due to site tech reasons, oftentimes I am initially only able to see the first part of your post, so I apologize in advance if it means more interactions between us. At times, there can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break, or if it is late at night, I may have to go get some shut eye til morning, but rest assured, I'll be back for you. Thanks

Sincerely,

S. Joy, Legal Expert

My Standard and Required Legal Disclaimer. The information given by me here is not legal advice. You should not and may not rely on anything on this website as legal advice and you agree that the nominal price you may voluntarily pay for information here clearly does not pay for any legal advice. I am neither establishing nor accepting an attorney-client relationship with you. You must hire an attorney in your state as a matter of law, in order to receive legal advice and attorney/client relationship and rights. I do not claim to be licensed to practice in the state where this information is being provided or whose law would apply, if any. My licensing credentials are noted in my profile, which you have full access to. As law is always changing, you are recommended to consult with the appropriate legal counsel in your jurisdiction for accurate and complete information. Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX a great day.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Regarding to the not displaying parking receipt at dashboard, do you recommend me paying the ticket or appealing it because I misplaced the receipt?

Regarding to the hydrant - I took a picture of my car parked about 12 ft or so away from the hyrdrant. How far should a hydrant be parked from your car? If a hydrant is broken, does it effect the ticket being dismissed? I am going to appeal this ticket but when I checked the status online, it says hearing pending but a couple of days ago I received a letter from NYC Department of Finance Adjudication divisionand and it stated please be advised that we are unable to make a decision since you have not furnished us with a clear explanation of why you ar not liable for the summon(es) listed below, and/or have NOT enclosed necessary documenation or evidence. Important: Please RETURN THIS LETTER with the necessary explanation and documenation to the above address.

This ticket was issued on 1/8/10. The violation code is 40. Is there any particular format or terminoloy I should add on my appeal letter or is there any sample letter to follow by that will help me to write an appeal letter?

Dear tax,

With regard to your post, these are actually additional questions far beyond the scope of the original questions and transaction you chose, but in an effort to be further helpful:

Regarding to the not displaying parking receipt at dashboard, do you recommend me paying the ticket or appealing it because I misplaced the receipt? Without having the file of the authority to review or any other evidence, I can not recommend either way here, I can only provide the legal information you requested.

Regarding to the hydrant - I took a picture of my car parked about 12 ft or so away from the hyrdrant. You said 15 feet before. Make sure you don't mistakenly give contradicting remarks if you do seek to defend agains ticket.

How far should a hydrant be parked from your car? Abide by the regulation you were charged with. If it says 7, then be more than 7. If a hydrant is broken, does it effect the ticket being dismissed? Likely not, there is generally no basis in the statutes generally excusing one from parking there is the hydrant is broken.

I am going to appeal this ticket but when I checked the status online, it says hearing pending but a couple of days ago I received a letter from NYC Department of Finance Adjudication divisionand and it stated please be advised that we are unable to make a decision since you have not furnished us with a clear explanation of why you ar not liable for the summon(es) listed below, and/or have NOT enclosed necessary documenation or evidence. Important: Please RETURN THIS LETTER with the necessary explanation and documenation to the above address. Do as they say if you plan to try to refute.

This ticket was issued on 1/8/10. The violation code is 40. Is there any particular format or terminoloy I should add on my appeal letter or is there any sample letter to follow by that will help me to write an appeal letter? No, they are very familiar with pro se (non lawyer) appeals - it is the norm.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I really do not appreciate your hostile service as I am not satisified with your remarks and service. Actually some of the questions I asked are very straight forward as an yes or no and I do understand that you cannot give legal advice but I needed some kind of guidance. I could of googled the answer for hydrant distance from car rule but I wanted to know from you since you are the professional expert.

Dear tax,

I am confused by your post and in no way felt hostile, so I'm not sure why that came across to you - perhaps it is one of the negatives when we communicate only in a legal written setting - it appears dry and lacking in feeling at times. My apologies. If you would like follow up, please let me know. You asked me:

"am I able to appeal, it's been over 20 days?" And I provided the YES answer as well as full direction on how to actually accomplish that. I believe I gave you complete guidance on the ins and outs of appeal in NYC. (If for some reason you can not access the links, let me know! They are very helpful to your situation.)

You then asked me if you should pay it or appeal ("do you recommend me paying the ticket or appealing it because I misplaced the receipt?") -- I am being honest when I say, I have no idea. I have no idea of any evidence they have against you, if the officer will show up at the hearing, etc. If you think you can convince the judge that you are telling the truth and the officer is mistaken (or lying), then I suppose I would appeal. But if I knew I was right but had no evidence to support, I might not, as unfair as that would be to me. That is the way I would look at it if I were you, but it is definitely a personal choice, often depending in the amount of time and energy you want to spend, out of principle.

Anyway, that being said, there seems to be no question of yours that I didn't address. While follow up by you is invited, as I noted above, I can only respond when you ask for something specific, because otherwise I have no idea what needs clarification. Are you now saying, in a round about way, that you would like to know more answers than originally posed (and subsequently), ie. what the min. distance is between car and hydrant? Let me know, and I will work on getting that for you.

Thanks! I hope we have cleared the air here.

AlexiaEsq., Managing Attorney
Experience: 19+ Years of Legal Practice in Criminal Law.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No worries. Nevermind, I googled the answer for the distance between the vehicle parked from the hydrant is 15 ft. I can access to the links you provided me but the view full image links does not work. I will accept your answer. Thank you for your assistance. Have a good day.
test post from Admin