N Cal Attorney
N Cal Attorney, Lawyer
Experience:  Since 1983

This is predominantly for Japanese law experts - is there a

This is predominantly for Japanese law experts - is there a concept of self-defence in Japan civil society? I have read conflicting reports based on cultural norms such as conformity and general passiveness that this doesn't exist.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  N Cal Attorney replied 6 years ago.
My answer is Yes, Japanese law recognizes a right of self defense, which is stated in the Japanese Penal Code, Article 36 posted at

PENAL CODE (Act No.45 of 1907)
Article 36. (Self-Defense)
(1) An act unavoidably performed to protect the rights of oneself or any other person
against imminent and unlawful infringement is not punishable.
(2) An act exceeding the limits of self-defense may lead to the punishment being
reduced or may exculpate the offender in light of the circumstances.

I hope this information is helpful.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I see. My friend self-defended herself from an attack from her spouse. They are involved in a money dispute and are foced into mediation to seek a compromise. I am sceptical about the weaknesses imposed in mediation particularly in those instances encouraging parties to settle their disputes together. What are your thoughts?

I feel that a mediated negotiated resolution is almost always preferable than having a stranger in a black robe decide your future. If they cannot work out an agreement in mediation, the a judge can decide the issues.

I feel a negotiated resolution is better than a coercive resolution. If she feels intimidated, she can bring her attorney to the mediation sessions.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Hello, but should she be forced to go to mediation against her will? Be forced to settle? What are the potential pitfalls she is liekly to face - the court system already pits her as an adversary against her husband - the mediation may sound like its levelling the play field but the court already has broad powers to refer parties to mediation without their consent?
The court can order parties to mediation but cannot force them to reach an agreement. If mediation is not successful, the case goes back to court.
Thank you for accepting my answer.