Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Criminal Justice Degree, JD with Criminal Law Concentration. Worked for the DA and U.S. Attorney.

I was arrested for shoplifting a small amount of accessories

I was arrested for shoplifting a small amount of accessories from belk tonight. I was bailed out quickly and want to keep this as quiet as possible due to my family and job. I have a few best friends and family who are attorneys, but would rather avoid telling them at all cost to spare them dissappointment. My court date is set for 3/11, which is very soon. Should I go alone and plead guilty since it's a misdemeanor. Or is it necessary to have an attorney with me? I was told that I can have it removed after a year.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 6 years ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. It is not necessary to have an attorney in any criminal matter, although an attorney can often get you a better result. If you do not have a record, the DA will probably not ask for jail time. Most likely, you would be placed on probation and asked to pay a fine.

If the DA might ask for jail time, you will be informed at the initial appearance, and you'll have the opportunity to discover whether you qualify for a court-appointed attorney.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I was told that if I plead guilty then I will more than likely just get a fine and can then have it removed after a year. I am wondering if there is any way possible to settle this with the DA before court or do I have to go before the judge in public city court regardless. I have seen some petty things done like this in the past.
You can reach an agreement with the DA before court, however, you would still need to appear, plead guilty, and be sentenced.