Steinlaw
Steinlaw, Lawyer
Experience:  I have represented individuals accused of crimes.
12106879

I am chiropractor who is excluded from medicare because of

Customer Question

I am chiropractor who is excluded from medicare because of defaulted student loans. For the last few years I had my medicare age patients pay cash directly to me without any medicare billing. Now I have learned that you have bill medicare even if accept cash payments from patients. But I am excluded from billing medicare claims. I don't know what to do.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Steinlaw replied 6 years ago.
Thank you for your question and I look forward to assisting you. Please keep in mind that I can only respond to your post and the information contained in it, as I do not know what you know unless you have put all of the information in your question. Also, due to site reasons, oftentimes I am initially only able to see the first part of your post, so I apologize in advance if it means more interactions between us. Also, there may be future facts that are as yet undetermined in your matter, that can and must leave some areas of information provided by me broad in nature. However, don't hesitate to ask for clarification if needed! At times, there can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break. That being said...

You have two choices. You can get the student loans caught up and start taking Medicare patients. Or you can stop treating anyone who has Medicare. If you continue treating this patient and someone reports you to Medicare, you may be charged with a crime.

Good luck.

Legal Disclaimer. By requesting this information, you expressly agree to the following: The information given is not legal advice. You should not and may not rely on anything on this website as legal advice. The nominal price you may or may not pay for information does not pay for any legal advice. I am neither establishing nor accepting an attorney-client relationship. The only method of gaining an attorney/client relationship with me is via a retainer and signed fee agreement, which is not offered via this site. I am providing only resources, opinion and information for you to be informed and educated about your particular rights and needs. My answer is limited to the facts presented with the understanding that you will do your proper due diligence and appropriate follow up with an attorney licensed in your state. I do not provide general or specific legal advice on this site. I also am licensed to practice only in California, which may not be the state where this information is being provided or state whose law would apply, if any. I strive to provide quality information, but I make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained in or linked herein and its associated sites.