P. Simmons, Lawyer
Experience:  16 yrs. of experience including criminal law.

my son just turned 18 jan 21 and had consensul sex with a

my son just turned 18 jan 21 and had consensul sex with a girl at school. we think she is 14 or 15 years old she is in the 9th grade we could happen to my son?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 6 years ago.
Thanks for the chance to assist.

This can be a problem for your son. In TX the age of consent is 17. There is a defense in some cases ...It is an affirmative defense to prosecution under this section that the actor...was not more than three years older than the victim and of the opposite sex...(and) did not use duress, force, or a threat against the victim at the time of the offence" and is not a registered sex offender Texas Penal Code Section 21.11(b)

SO her age is key...if she is not more than 3 years younger AND this was consensual...then he may be ok...otherwise this would be a sex crime under TX law.

What could happen...jail...but perhaps worse the requirement to register as a sex offender. He needs a good lawyer and make she he talks to no one else about this (not even you).

Please let me know if you have further questions; if so I will do my best to answer them. If not please hit the accept button, its the only way I get credit for my work.

Terms and Conditions: By your continuing in this conversation with me, or by your clicking “Accept”, you are expressly agreeing to all of the following: (1) our communication is for entertainment purposes only; (2) you do not seek to establish an attorney-client relationship with me, nor do I with you; (3) you will not rely on anything I say and you will obtain appropriate legal counsel via a traditional office consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where your legal issue arises; (4) by communicating with me in this public forum you are irrevocably waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client privilege concerning the matters discussed. You further separately declare that any payment made by you is not consideration for this contract, nor offered for any services rendered by me on your behalf. If you do not agree with these terms and conditions, then you must advise me immediately.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
we heard that the law changed to 5 years in sept 09?????
still 3 years

here is the law

But its not a complete defense...its an affirmative defense...the burden is on him to show this