Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Experience:  Handle criminal matters in both state and federal courts.

I have a case of check forgery to deal with that happend in

I have a case of check forgery to deal with that happend in missouri, while i am stationed (active military) in california. I have to file a police report. can I do this with the police here in california, or will i have to work through missouri?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Samuel II replied 6 years ago.

if the forgery took place in Missouri, then you need to deal with the police agency in that jurisdiction. each state has it's own problems and are limited to manpower so you will not get any cooperation from CA for a number of reasons, but the first being that where ever the crime occurred that is who has jurisdiction.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

will i be able to at least file a report here, and will my being here on military assignment help in any way with cooperation?

Expert:  Samuel II replied 6 years ago.

you can certainly try to file the report and ask them to forward it. however, again police forces have limited manpower so don't be surprised if they tell you to pound sand and contact the MO police. they might do it because you are military. but they are not obligated to do so