xavierjd
xavierjd, Lawyer
Experience:  Over 20 yrs experience in prosecution and defense work
14261217

My 15 yr old daughter was arrested for shoplifting. She is

My 15 yr old daughter was arrested for shoplifting. She is charged with Possession of Stolen goods (felony) Petty theft and conspircy. Should I hire an attorney to represent her?

Thanks for using JustAnswer.com

Has your daughter ever been in trouble before?

Thanks

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
No.

The short answer to your question is YES.

The charges that your daughter are facing are EXTREMELY SERIOUS. Even though she is a minor, there can be very negative consequences.

An attorney will be able to meet with your daughter, obtain documents (evidence) from the prosecutor that will be used against your daughter, speak to the detective in charge, and evaluate your daughter's involvement in the incident.

An attorney may be able to discuss a possible plea agreement with the prosecutor, including an agreement that would defer prosecution of the case for a period of time. Your daughter would be placed on probation for a period of time with conditions (ie. pay fines/costs/fees, obey all house rules, attend school, no absences, no tardies, community service, no further offenses, etc.). If she completes probation successfully, then the charges would be dismissed. That type of disposition would keep your daughter's record clean.

Depending upon the circumstances of your daughter's case, if there is a need to go to trial (your daughter maintains her innocence, which is her right), the attorney will be best able to advocate on her behalf. S/he knows the court rules, evidence rules, etc.

You would be best served by hiring an attorney. Make sure that s/he is qualified in juvenile law. You can contact your local bar association for a referral.

I hope you find this information useful and that you PRESS THE GREEN ACCEPT BUTTON so that I can get credit for answering the question. Thank you.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you so much.
You are very welcome. Good luck to you both!