Barrister, Criminal Defense Law
Experience:  16 years practicing criminal defense.
19958803

what should I expect for a 2misdemeanor Move Over law traffic

what should I expect for a 2misdemeanor Move Over law traffic violation in Atlanta, GA, Fulton county? Do I need a lawyer present in court? I am not a US citizen and here on H1N1 visa to work. Is there a possibility of jail time?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 6 years ago.

This is the applicable section or the Move-Over-Law: Georgia Code, Title 40-6-16.

a. The operator of a motor vehicle approaching a stationary authorized emergency vehicle that is displaying flashing yellow, amber, white, red, or blue lights shall approach the authorized emergency vehicle with due caution and shall, absent any other direction by a peace officer, proceed as follows:

1.
Make a lane change into a lane not adjacent to the authorized emergency vehicle if possible in the existing safety and traffic conditions; or

2. If a lane change under paragraph (1) of this subsection would be impossible, prohibited by law, or unsafe, reduce the speed of the motor vehicle to a reasonable and proper speed for the existing road and traffic conditions, which speed shall be less than the posted speed limit, and be prepared to stop.

b. The operator of a motor vehicle approaching a stationary towing or recovery vehicle or a stationary highway maintenance vehicle that is displaying flashing yellow, amber, or red lights shall approach the vehicle with due caution and shall, absent any other direction by a peace officer, proceed as follows:

1. Make a lane change into a lane not adjacent to the towing, recovery, or highway maintenance vehicle if possible in the existing safety and traffic conditions; or

c. Violation of subsection (a) or (b) of this Code section shall be punished by a fine of not more than $500.00

So you are looking at a $500 fine, no jailtime, and you don't need to spend money on an attorney. It is likely the classification is incorrect if you weren't charged with anything else.

Thanks.

I hope you have a better understanding of your legal issue. I am sorry if the answer is not what you would prefer, but sometimes the answer is good news, other times bad. If the information given answered your question PLEASE CLICK THE GREEN "ACCEPT" BUTTON NOW, so that I receive credit for my work. If you need additional clarification on this question, just click "Reply" and I will be happy to help you. Please give me as much detail as you can so that I can respond after receiving all the relevant details.