Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience

i Im

Customer Question

I'm om paroleand just gota misdemeanor dwi and I'm 3 months out of safp and 15mths left on parole. If I drag out my dwi hearing so that my parole hearing held after I have less than 12 months left on parole will they likely not send me back thru safp and merely to isf for the usual 2 months since the safp is a 9 to 12 month program...?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 6 years ago.
It doesn't really matter how long you drag out your DWI hearing because for the parole violation they look at the date the violation occurred, which is the date of your DWI arrest, no matter when you get convicted.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow up questions please use the REPLY button and ask. If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

the reasoning for delaying is that if I wait until I have less than 12 months left on parole, the board may not send me back thru the safp prgram(which is a 12 month program including the aftercare) but merely to an isf facility for a couple of months -their standardwrist slap punishment then back on the street to resume on parole

That is not necessarily true however. As I said, the fact is that they look at the date of the offense and it is discretionary to them as to whether or not they give you the wrist slap, as you put it, or revoke the parole.