Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Experience:  Handle criminal matters in both state and federal courts.
10707909

is it true that if you are charged with possesion of marijuana

is it true that if you are charged with possesion of marijuana in a drug free zone that you have to do a minimum of 5 years before you are eligible for parole? My brother was sentenced to 5
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Samuel II replied 4 years ago.

hi

the penalty for possesion of marijuana in a drug free zone in Texas is a Class 2 felony and carries a minimum of 5 years.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
so does that mean he wont be eligible for parole for 5 years? he was charged with a 3rd degree felony in a school zone..his apartment was located in a school zone..do they factor in ie..if it was on a playground ect
Expert:  Samuel II replied 4 years ago.

hi

here is the TX law on the class 3 felony - the judge can make it without parole

§ 12.34:

(a) An individual adjudged guilty of a felony of the third degree shall be punished by imprisonment in the institutional division for any term of not more than 10 years or less than 2 years.

(b) In addition to imprisonment, an individual adjudged guilty of a felony of the third degree may be punished by a fine not to exceed $10,000.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

thank you but i still dont understand..he read in the law library he has to do 5 whole years before he is eligible but he is only sentenced to 5..so if he is sentenced to 5 and he does 5 he is a free man..im just confused..i just need to know if he will be paroled before the 5 years..his attorney said he would do 25% oh the time and others are telling us that the parole board will look at his case as a 3G which he would have to do 50% of his time..i just need to know if it is mandatory in the state of texas that he does 5 whole years for possession in a "school zone"

Expert:  Samuel II replied 4 years ago.

hi

the judge can make it without parole which means that he would not have a parole hearing. but there are other ways that an inmate can be released early - say 25% and that is with good conduct credits. everyday that he does not get into trouble he will get credit - say 2 for 1 days - so that is going to lessen his stay. but if he misbehaves he wont get those credits and/or can have any he has accumulated taken away.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

he has already been sentenced and is waiting to be transfered to tdc..does that mean i have to find out if the judge made it withouth parole?

Expert:  Samuel II replied 4 years ago.

hi

yes. you can check the court records to see how the commitment reads. if there is no parole the commitment will be marked as such

Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Experience: Handle criminal matters in both state and federal courts.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you very much for your helpful information Samuel!!!!!!!!!!!! Sealed please reply so i can accept your answer to credit your account thank you again!