A.S.B., Esq.
A.S.B., Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  I am an Assistant District Attorney, and former criminal defense attorney.

i live in pa i was at a gas station and a starnger kept watching

i live in pa i was at a gas station and a starnger kept watching me as i went thru the store to buy my items and as i was standing in line to pay he reached his hand down the back of my shirt and did it again but got to my neck and pulled away. i'm 17 yrs old. it was all caught on video and the police will file charges against him of either harrassment or indecent assault-they're letting it up to me. they think that the judge will not allow indecent assault as it was the back of my shirt not the front. i was violated! why would it matter? in your opinion should i tell the police to file as harrassment so it sticks or take the chance it won't as an indecent assault charge?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  A.S.B., Esq. replied 6 years ago.

First and foremost, thank you for choosing I am a licensed criminal defense attorney, former Assistant District Attorney in PA, and member of the American Bar Association.

You are absolutely correct: you were violated. And that is exactly the reason why you should tell the police you want to them to file both the harassment charge as well as the indecent assault. There is nothing stopping the officers from filing both charges on the information, unless the District Attorney's Office will not recommend the charges for some reason.

You guarantee doubling your chances of reaching a conviction on at least one, if not both, of the charges by pressing charges on both counts. It's important to remember one charge may not stick, but that does not mean the other fails as well; you can get a conviction on one and not the other. Therefore, it is in your best interest to request both charges be filed against the individual to ensure maximum chance of penalty!

I hope this helps! Please, click "Accept" if you found my answer helpful so I may receive credit for my response. Do not hesitate to contact me via with any further questions or concerns. Thank you and good luck!!!!