Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
18321761

Can you be arrested for buying drugs off of the internet

Can you be arrested for buying drugs off of the internet? Received several calls on cell phone from angry yelling alledged DEA agent - gives name and badge number - tells me he has enough evidence in front of him to have me arrested tomorrow - they will be arresting me - I will have to get a lawyer and it will cost me a lot of $$. He quotes some act-Reinhart? says I violated it.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 4 years ago.
Customer

Before I answer your question, can you tell me whether you are talking about illegal drugs, or you are talking about drugs you need a prescription for that you can get at some on-line pharmacies without a prescription? Also, if you're talking about prescriptions drugs, are they controlled substances?

Also, what did this supposed DEA agent want you to do?

Edited by FranL on 2/25/2010 at 7:46 PM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

This agent said it was illegal prescription drugs - hydrocodon or hydrocon or something like that.

Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 4 years ago.
Customer

I added a second question but you may not have seen it as your answer may have overlapped.

What did the agent say you should do? Did he try to tell you that you have to pay any money, for example?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Not yet - he has called me back 5 times threatening me - he said he would do some further checking and call me back in 20-25 minutes. That was about 30 minutes ago. I just read on line this may be a scam.

Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 4 years ago.
This is a scam. Don't answer the phone. You will not be arrested.

It is illegal to purchase controlled substances or any other prescription medication over the internet without a prescription.

There are on-line websites that operate out of the country, which will take orders from the US because in those countries prescriptions aren't necessary for what they offer. If the pharmacy is legit, what would happen is that Customs would discover the illegal pharmaceuticals (they are cracking down on this) and simply confiscate them. You would get some notice that they were being held by Customs. If you didn't contest that and didn't try to show up and claim them, that would be that.

However, there are on-line pharmacies that really don't sell drugs at all. They are scam sites run by thieves who try to scare you into giving up your money. Instead of getting the drugs, you will get a call from a supposed DEA agent, and he will try to tell you that if you pay a certain amount of money to someone or other, the charges against you will not be brought. Otherwise, he will claim that you are going to be arrested and face serious charges. That's extortion and nothing that a bona fide DEA agent would ever do.

These scammers get your personal information from the "pharmacy's" site. They also have your credit card details, so you should cancel your card as well and take any other precautions you have to in order to prevent you from being an identity theft victim as well.

The next time the guy calls, tell him that on advice of counsel you should not have any further discussion on this matter. Ignore the fear tactics, get off of the phone, and report whatever information you have about this site to your state attorney general's office and to the FBI's Internet Crime Complaint Center.

___________

If I've helped, please click the green Accept button so I can get credit for my work.

This thread will not close and you can always use it to get clarification.This is informational only and is NOT legal advice. There is no attorney-client relationship. You are advised to consult an attorney in your state for specific legal advice.

Experience: Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you so much! One question - I DID not buy anything illegal or ortherwise over the internet except legitimate items like clothing, electronics, music. How would they have my info and do I cancel all credit cards I have used to order these items?
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 4 years ago.
Ouch!

Is it possible that someone else in the household may have ordered anything from an on-line pharmacy?

They got your phone number from somewhere, and that would indicate that your security somewhere has certainly been breached. If you call one of the three major credit reporting agencies, you can put a fraud alert on all of your accounts. That way, if anyone else tries to open anything in your name, they would have to contact you first. Here's a link on how to do that.

As for cancelling cards, I don't know that this happened as a result of something you ordered over the net, or whether it happened somewhere you used your card in person and gave it to a less than honest waiter or sales clerk. If there are several different cards potentially involved here, you only have two choices, to cancel the cards or to monitor them vigorously and report any unauthorized charges immediately. If any of the cards you use is a debit card directly to your bank account, I'd make sure and call the bank to secure that one.

___________