JD, Criminal Justice Lawyer
Experience:  Over 11 years of practice in litigation including 10 years as a state prosecutor

does someone who is serving jail time for a white colored crime

does someone who is serving jail time for a white colored crime continue to recive social security checks while they are serving their jail time?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  JD replied 6 years ago.

They are not supposed to receive social security benefits while incarcerated but I have seen it happen a few times due to oversight. Here is a good link to some information that should help you...

Please reply if I can help further.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
I was not given any answer to my guesstion whatsoever
Expert:  JD replied 6 years ago.

I'll be happy to supplement your answer with more information. What else did you need to know?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
IM,y question that has not been answered is"Does a person from N,Y.CITY who is now incarcerated for a white collar crime,serving a 2 year sentence in a minimum security prison in California still get to collect his social security checks?" Are those checks still deposited each month into his account while he is incaraerated, or are they suspended?
Expert:  JD replied 6 years ago.

I'm sorry for the delay. I've been in court all day.

Anyone who is incarcerated is ineligible for social security payments. The link I provided above also gives information about reinstating benefits after the incarceration period is over.

This applies to a person from New York, California, or any other state. Further, it applies to anyone who is incarcerated for a white collar crime, violent crime, drug crime, or any other crime.

Also, as I stated above, there are occasions when institutional oversight results in an inmate continuing to receive benefits. In that situation, it is possible for the Social Security Administration to recover those funds from the inmate.

Please reply if I can help further.