How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lucy, Esq. Your Own Question
Lucy, Esq.
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 29312
Experience:  Criminal Justice Degree, JD with Criminal Law Concentration. Worked for the DA and U.S. Attorney.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Lucy, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a summons to appear in court for a preliminary hearing

Customer Question

I have a summons to appear in court for a preliminary hearing for charges of obstruction of Obstructing administration of law or other governmental function which they have as a M2. I threw away 87 pieces of undelivered mail into a trash can. 85 pieces were bulk rate mail/3rd class which mist people call junk mail. 2 pcs were first class mail. Then I haves 2 counts oftheft of movable property M3 which it stated I exercised unlawful control over movable property specifically 2 postage stamps valued at 44 cents each. I was a mail carrier substitute, I no longer have thT job, of couse I was removed from postal service actuallymy removal date is march 5th.I have no previous record. I can't afford an attorney cost upfront large fees, having a hard time finding one that takes payments, and am scared what may happen at my preliminary hearing. Can someone give me a little info of what I may be looking at? Thanks for any info.
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 7 years ago.
Hi Larkspur,

Thank you for using Just Answer. At the initial appearance, you will have the option of entering a plea of not guilty. The offense you are charged with is a misdemeanor of the second degree, which carries a maximum penalty of up to two years imprisonment, a fine of $500-$5,000, or both. If you cannot afford an attorney, the court can appoint an attorney for you at no cost.