LawTalk, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years legal experience
15277592

I need a sample letter to write a judge before sentencing on

I need a sample letter to write a judge before sentencing on behalf of a family member.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 7 years ago.
Good morning,

Here is a basic format letter that you might use:

The Honorable Judge John Doe

Judge of The Superior Court

County of Adams

State of Wisconsin

Dear Judge Doe:

I am writing this letter on behalf of a family member mine who is presently before you on criminal charges and is due to be sentenced shortly. I am ***** ***** and I am a member of the school board in Chatham County, Georgia. I have known Susan both personally and professionally for a period of 20 years.

Susan has a productive future ahead of her. (Describe here her accomplishments of the past, especially civic duties, volunteer positions. Explain why you believe that it would be in the best interest of both Susan, as well as the community she resides in as well, that she be granted probation or a reduced sentence.) I believe that both society, as well as Susan, would be better served by the imposition of a period of probation, along with court ordered service to her community; this will better assist her in becoming a more responsible, productive citizen than would any extended period of incarceration.

I was shocked and disappointed in her behavior as she has always been a good, law abiding person. This incident is very unlike Susan's character as I have known it for years.

Judge Doe, I am respectfully ***** ***** mercy of this Court when Susan is sentenced. I pray that you will give heartfelt consideration in making that decision and that you will take into consideration all of the good that Susan has accomplished in her life; as well as all that she can give back to society if given a second chance.

Thank you in advance for your time and for your consideration.

Respectfully submitted,

______________________

***** *****

I wish you the best in 2010.

Thank you very much for having allowed me to assist you. It would be greatly appreciated if you would click the green Accept icon so that I can receive credit for having assisted you.

Best regards,

Doug

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
My family member is a young man who has been in trouble with the law before, he want to have the opportunity to change and better himself
Expert:  LawTalk replied 7 years ago.
Good morning,

I understand, and I wish you the best.

Please don’t forget that I only receive credit for having helped you when you click on the Accept Button located at my Answer.

Best regards,

Doug