Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.
Prisoners retain several rights while incarcerated that must be protected.
- Right against cruel and unusual punishment - this could involve prison disciplinary measures, police brutality, and inhumane facility conditions
- Right to due process of law for complaints and grievances that include access to courts
- Right to reasonable accomodations for physical and mental disabilities and for reasonably necessary medical care
- Right to free speech (including religious expression) as long as it does not interfere with prison security or operations
- Right to be free from discrimination based upon race
This is not an exhaustive list, but includes most of those that immediately come to mind.
Feel free to reply if I can help further.