JD, Criminal Justice Lawyer
Experience:  Over 11 years of practice in litigation including 10 years as a state prosecutor

Can a 18 year boy be accuse of statutory rape if he has consenting

Customer Question

Can a 18 year boy be accuse of statutory rape if he has consenting sex with a 17 year old in Miami, FL.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  JD replied 6 years ago.

Florida Statute

794.05 Unlawful sexual activity with certain minors.--

(1) A person 24 years of age or older who engages in sexual activity with a person 16 or 17 years of age commits a felony of the second degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082, s. 775.083, or s. 775.084. As used in this section, "sexual activity" means oral, anal, or vaginal penetration by, or union with, the sexual organ of another; however, sexual activity does not include an act done for a bona fide medical purpose.

(2) The provisions of this section do not apply to a person 16 or 17 years of age who has had the disabilities of nonage removed under chapter 743.

(3) The victim's prior sexual conduct is not a relevant issue in a prosecution under this section.

(4) If an offense under this section directly results in the victim giving birth to a child, paternity of that child shall be established as described in chapter 742. If it is determined that the offender is the father of the child, the offender must pay child support pursuant to the child support guidelines described in chapter 61.

While other aspects surrounding the relationship could pose potential criminal liability the sex itself does not appear to be a criminal act.

Please reply if I can help further.

Remember to click ACCEPT only when you are satisfied with your answers. This is how we get paid for our time with your questions. I would also appreciate any positive feedback you could provide. If you are not satisfied then please reply to me so I can further assist you or find someone else to help. I am not your attorney. Therefore no attorney-client relationship exists and any communications on this website are not subject to the attorney-client privilege. For this reason, please do not divulge any personal information and use this site only for hypothetical questions. This forum is for general questions and answers and I cannot provide you with applicable law or legal opinions or advice in your jurisdiction. Please seek the advice of a competent attorney in your jurisdiction. While I can answer general questions and discuss general legal principles, I cannot give you legal advice in your state. The internet is a great place to get general information but should not be seen as a substitute for the attorney-client relationship or the services of a good lawyer in your state.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

The question was never answered. I knew this information before.

Expert:  JD replied 6 years ago.

Ok... let's try it like this.

The applicable law that was cited above, "Unlawful Sexual Activity with Certain Minors" does not apply to an 18 year old having sex with a 17 year old.

If the minor was under 16 then another law would apply that is commonly referred to as "Statutory Rape" however that only applies to a person under 16.

I hope this answers your question.